Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm No longer Dazed & Confused



A two week internship at fashion and music magazine Dazed & Confused confirmed my aspirations of being a journalist. Daily tasks included transcribing interviews (listening to Spike Jonze for almost 6 hours did not taint my opinion of him, but it did not make me want to see his new movie I'm Here which is a tale of two robots in love in LA) researching for features and joining the other interns tp sort out the daily post (which turned out to be a more confusing task that I had first imagined but I became quite the post woman by the end of it). I did however get to do two phone interviews and one via email which both scared me to death and gave me the confidence to do interviews in the furture.

The May issue will contain two of the interviews. The first with Jaiden Saint James discussing his magazine, Re-bel, and the second with Will Gregory from Goldfrapp and Adrian Utley of Portishead. The latter is about a really exciting project the two friends are currently collaborating on. They are in the midst of writing a completely new and contemporary film score to the 1920's French silent film The Passion of Joan of Arc. .

The interview with photgrapher Ewen Spencer was featured on Dazed Digital today and recounts the short film he made as part of the Massive Attack project featuring their new album, Heligoland.



I also got to attend the April issue lanuch party in CAMP in Shoreditch where i got to see the band Glasser live and the cover stars (above), The xx, dj-ed afterwards. The whole experience at the magazine, watching everything unfold and listen to new relseases from the desk next to me. Tim, Deputy Editor is also the Music Editor and provided the soundtrack to my internship. From Foals and LCD Soundsystem's new albums to the Vengaboys and afternoon mambo, there was never a dull moment in the office. Keep an eye out in the next issue of Dazed & Confused for my little aformentioned pieces, every little helps as they say!

Read the interview here:

http://www.dazeddigital.com/ArtsAndCulture/article/7125/1/Massive_Attack_Films_-_Part_2

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Helen! I was on the dazed website and came across the link to your blog page. I love your blogs! They're really fun and insightful. Funnily enough I've got an interview for work experience at Dazed tomorrow and I was wondering if you had any advice or tips. I couldn't help but notice that you are also doing a journalism MA...is that the one at city by any chance? I've also applied for that and my interview is soon! You seem to be very clued up so if you have a moment to reply that would be sooo brill.

    Olivia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there,
    I would love to do an internship at dazed but do not posess a blog, nor do I have any former experience of any internships as I'm only proceeding to my second year of Journalism at the uni of arts. Was wondering what you put oin your application to make you stand out and if you have any tipps for me. Also, did they ask you to submit any work samples? cheers from berlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great edition and great blog! Please have a little look at...

    ReplyDelete