Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Teen Dreamer



I first encountered Beach House whilst watching an interview with MGMT back in 2008. They mentioned the Baltimore duo as one of their favourites of the time and they were also good friends (who in that circle is never friends?). However, they were wrongly shunned aside when I saw that they were supporting a fellow dreary folk band now known as the ubiquitous Fleet Foxes. I reverted back to them last year and I am very glad I did so. Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally make up the indie compilation. Victoria's mellowed vocals match the drone of Alex's guitar and the echo of the organ create a unique sound that penetrates your deepest thoughts. Their self titled debut album was listed on Pitchfork's Best of 2006 list, and they were immediately catapulted into the indie arena. They have since released two albums, Devotion and their most recent, Teen Dream has gathered o much momentum over the past month that is enough to sell out most of the dates on their European tour.




But it is Victoria's style that I wish to impart onto the unassuming Beach House listener. Her cascading uncombed locks with blunt fringe shape her face as she softly sings classics such as 'Apple Orchard' and 'Gila', and a more powerful voice was recently unveiled on their new single 'Norway'.(She also contributed to Grizzly Bear's single 'Two Weeks') Her style is a mismatch of vintage retro pieces and casual items that mirror her on stage persona. She oozes natural style and captures the viewers attention whilst on stage, whether in a denim shirt or a polka dot number.

The often labelled 'dream pop' band slashed the misconception that they are indeed as mellow as their music. I was lucky enough to see them last summer at Electric Picnic in Co. Laois, Ireland in the Body and Soul area where treacherous weather conditions delayed them until 1 am and the feedback of the amps were less than desirable for the weary listener on the last night of a festival. They are playing my hometown of Dublin this Saturday 13th in Whelans which I am very jealous of, and next week in London in the Bush Hall. I booked my tickets well in advance to avoid disappointment (I tend to miss a lot of gigs due to laziness or lack of funds)


I will make sure I take note of both the bands performance and Legrand's ensemble for you all to lust after, just as i will be doing on the night.

http://www.myspace.com/beachhousemusic
http://www.myspace.com/grizzlybear
http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes

No comments:

Post a Comment